Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Catching Flies

marygrace

Here's the Honey

When I belonged to vegetarian groups in Austin and in San Antonio, parties were frequently held and children were usually welcome.  All food was vegan, but you didn't have to be vegetarian to attend.  These social activities were well attended and lots of fun.  Not only were animal issues not discussed, but food wasn't discussed either--any more than it would be at any other party or dinner.  

I was unaware of an animal rights group in Austin but learned of one in San Antonio.  The animal rights group and the vegetarian group were separate groups.
 


Along with my husband and five children, we became vegetarian without having met a vegetarian.  My reason for joining groups was so that my children could meet other children who ate as we ate.  Friendships formed naturally.  My brother-in-law began dating, then married, the head of our San Antonio vegetarian group.  (P.S., He and my husband were raised on a Texas cattle ranch.) 

If you are vegetarian, and you and your vegetarian friends are enjoying life, others will want to hang out with you and be a part of your group.  I didn't know the animal issues when I became vegetarian.  My husband and children certainly didn't.  When we joined these happy, interesting vegetarians, it helped us to internalize our new eating style because our interactions were positive and enjoyable.  Had an animal rights-focused vegetarian group been our first experience with other vegetarians, I probably would not be vegetarian today.
Getty Images
Differences Between Vegetarian Groups

Over the years I have seen several different types of vegetarian groups.
  1. The Social Vegetarian Groups: These are groups like I have described above.  They always project an atmosphere of friendliness.  "Omnivores" are welcome, and their lifestyle choices aren't addressed by the group.  If the leader chooses to talk, she is breif and her message is positive, something like, "The new Mexican restaurant in town is expanding it's menu to include more vegan options, so next month we will be dining there to show support."  This group grows effortlessly, and easily takes in many new members.
  2. The Healthy Vegetarian Groups:  These are groups that focus on eating for better health.  Most of their members are striving for the perfect diet.  A typical group would be a Raw Food Group.  They accept anyone who is striving to be a raw vegetarian.  People become raw foodies for health reasons.  The group's emphasis is the food.  Since it is much more difficult to be a raw vegetarian, this group doesn't draw in a great deal of new members.
  3. The Vegetarian Groups that focus on Animal Rights:  These groups see themselves separate from animal rights groups.  These vegetarian groups focus on animal issues like factory farming, animal compassion, animal suffering and so forth.  They believe themselves to be socially open groups, but only are much in the same way that Goths or churches are socially open, more exclusive than inclusive.  Because of their somber discussions, programs, and emphasis on animal issues, their membership grows slowly.
Becoming Vegetarian

People become vegetarian for many different reasons.  I read The McDougall Plan which made sense to me.  Several months after eating tasty vegan meals, I was riding down the road and saw some cows.  "Why do we even eat meat," I thought to myself.  Personally, it didn't bother me to tell my friends and family that we were becoming vegetarian. 

I had no vegetarian image in my head (no picture of what vegetarians were supposed to think or look like).  I didn't think that people needed to be liberal or conservative to eat healthy food.  I wasn't even convinced that giving up animal foods was healthy until I tried it.  It would be years later before I started to think about animal issues.

 
Changing the World

Would you like to see everyone become vegetarian?  Would you like to see an end to meat consumption?  Most vegetarians I have met would say "yes".  Change comes from education and awareness, but when intelligent, informed people know the facts and still choose to eat meat, then, clearly, there is other motivation.

Look at young people who watch documentaries showing black lungs from cigarette use and receive information on drug abuse.  Why doesn't the message get to every student?  People continue bad habits because 1) they like the habit, and 2) they are part of a group of people who have the same habit. 

Being different from you group (family, friends, co-workers) is tough!  What are alcoholics told?  They are told to find new friends.  Bottom line: if you want many fewer animals to be eaten, have a vegetarian group that is fun, where friendships form easily and naturally.  Create a positive friendly environment, and invite others to join your party.  Help meat-eaters find a friendly, accepting, new peer group.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a very well done professional blog!
    It makes mine look pallid in comparison,
    Great Job!
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the Pot Pie recipe. It is in the oven cooking right now.
    :)

    ReplyDelete